Baz Luhrmann Auteur research Catalogue

Film Studies Research Project

'Baz Luhrmann frequently uses the narrative theme of 'Doomed Romance' in his films, to what extent can this define him as an auteur?'

Annotated Catalogue

Films:


Item 1:  Moulin Rouge (2001)
Moulin Rouge is a classic story of forbidden love in which an English writer falls in love with the star of the Moulin Rouge but she has been planned for betrothal with the Duke. At the last moment of the film when the writer and the star finally openly express their love, the star dies from the Tuberculosis she has been suffering from. I chose Moulin Rouge as my focus film as I felt it was the choice that would best represent Luhrmann's signature theme of 'doomed romance'. It is the film's entire plot focus, Luhrmann commonly shows this theme within the narrative through the use of extravagant colours and theatrical elements presenting a lack of verisimilitude.


Item 2: The Great Gatsby (2013)
The Great Gatsby is another classic tragedy in which ex-lovers (Gatsby and Daisy) re-unite despite Daisy having a husband, until Daisy accidentally hits a woman with her car and kills her. The dead woman's husband then comes and shoots Gatsby dead believing Gatsby killed his wife and then kills himself.
This film was selected as one of my three films as I feel it is a great linking film to the other two as it shows a similar theatrical style and unrealistic vibe, presenting love as unreachable. I feel like this will be a fantastic way to prove how far his use of the narrative theme of 'doomed romance' can define Luhrmann as an auteur.


Item 3: Romeo and Juliet (1996)
Romeo and Juliet is the classic tragic tale of two doomed lovers who are forced apart by the binary opposition of their two feuding families, Montague's and Capulet's, until they both get pushed to suicide.
This film was selected as the final of my three films as it is one of, if not the most, well-known representation of  a 'doomed romance' therefore it allows me to show Luhrmann's consistent use of this theme. This also allows me to discuss the conventions he typically uses to express 'doomed romance' throughout the narrative.

Books:

Item 4: Andrew Butler - Film Studies (auteur theory)
This book provides an in-depth knowledge of film theory and proves it with reference to other films however I will only focus on the auteur theory section. I believe this will be helpful to extract quotes from as it gives specific definitions of an auteur and highlights exactly what makes a film director an auteur. This will help me to expand on my question as to what extent does Luhrmann's use of the narrative theme 'doomed romance' make him an auteur.

Item 5: Moulin Rouge! A film directed by Baz Luhrmann - Produced by Bazmark Design
This book goes through the main plot line and context of the film Moulin Rouge through the medium of pictures and short quotes. It also contains some extracts written by Luhrmann himself.
Although I will only use one or two quotes from this book I believe that it will be really helpful in presenting arguments and quotes of the narrative structure of the film and also to show his personal viewpoint on his own films and his portrayal of the theme of 'doomed romance'.

Item 6: The Seven Basic Plots - Christopher Booker
This book concentrates on Booker's theory that every story ever written can be boiled down to seven plot lines. Booker has come up with this theory through studying thousands of stories and found the seven plots to be: Overcoming the Monster, Rags to Riches, The Quest, Voyage and return, Comedy, Tragedy, Re-birth. I believe this book will be helpful in presenting my argument on the narrative structure of Luhrmann's films, as they all fall into a singular one of Booker's plots. Therefore, using quotes and theories from this book will allow me to further define Luhrmann as an auteur through narrative functions.

Item 7: Film Genre Reader III
This book focuses on specific genres and aspects of film. I will use quotes from the Auteur section but mainly from the Romance section to provide evidence of Luhrmann's use of 'doomed romance' throughout his film narratives.

Item 8: Joseph Campbell - Hero with 1000 faces
This is a book that focuses on the typical 'hero' throughout stories and films. I think this will help me to expand on the characters within Luhrmann's film which will allow me to further develop and discuss how characters are used within his films to present the narrative theme of 'doomed romance'.

Magazines:

Item 9: Radio Times- Baz Luhrmann: I'm always drawn to tragic romance.
This interview is a very short and concise conversation focusing on the film, The Great Gatsby. Although I will only use one quote from this interview I think it will be really effective in rounding out my argument of Luhrmann's use of 'doomed romance' and to what extent this defines him as an auteur.

Item 10: Venice magazine (June 2001) The Red Curtain - Terry Keefe
This interview goes into detail about Luhrmann's specific style of filmmaking and how this is reflected in the films: Moulin Rouge and Romeo and Juliet. His films were described as a heightened reality which shows the effects he used to exaggerate the narrative theme of 'doomed romance' in his work. I believe that this interview will help me to show more in-depth knowledge of Luhrmann's style of filmmaking and how this relates to the consistent narrative theme of 'doomed romance' through his films.

Item 11: New York Times: Deep Inside Baz Luhrmann's Creative Chaos
This interview is an over all review of Luhrmann himself and an insight into the way he works and produces his ideas. I will use quotes from this item to further develop my argument to present Baz Luhrmann as an auteur.

Interviews:

Item 12: Moulin Rouge- Interview with editor Jill Bilcock and Baz Luhrmann
In this interview Luhrmann and Bilcock speak on how they created Moulin Rouge and what their aims and thoughts were behind how everything was created. I have chosen to use this interview as i think it will be essential in, not only further developing analysis of Moulin Rouge but also, showing why Luhrmann decided to film the way he did in order to represent 'doomed romance' throughout the narrative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=118&v=9-zdvvmdVlM

Website: 

Item 13: Collins Dictionary - Learner: definition of auteur
This is the dictionary definition of auteur: 'someone who has a very strong artistic influence on the films they make'. Although this may seem extremely simple and meaningless I believe it will help me to conclude my argument with a short concise definition that I can fit Luhrmann into.

Item 14: Classical Narrative Structure
This piece focuses specifically on the narrative structure of Hollywood films and how they are typically produced. I will use this to help me explain the narrative structure of Luhrmann's films and how the theme of 'doomed romance' is represented throughout the narrative.
http://thecinematheque.ca/education/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/LanguageofFilm02.pdf

Videos:

Item 15: Backstory- Moulin Rouge! Part 1
This Interview shows the context of Moulin Rouge, how it began and why it was created the way it was; being so flamboyant and a movie musical . I have included this video as I think it gives a great insight into my focus film Moulin Rouge and allows me to directly quote Luhrmann on why he created it the way he did and how he presented the narrative theme of 'doomed romance'.





REJECTIONS:

Fim: Australia (2008)
Australia is a drama/romance set on the brink of World War II where the main character joins up with a local to take a herd of cattle she inherited with a ranch across harsh paths and they eventually fall in love.
Although the pair go through a lot of rough times together I chose to reject this film in my research for Baz Luhrmann's use of the narrative theme 'doomed romance', as the other films i have chosen represent this narrative in a much more prominent and consistent manner.

Empire magazine: Baz Luhrmann Interview - The Great Gatsby
This interview is Luhrmann talking about The Great Gatsby and he references Romeo and Juliet so initially I thought this would be useful as they are two of the films I will look at, however upon reflection i have rejected this item as i don't feel it has enough relevance to my overall question.

The Guardian: Baz Luhrmann says he will focus on film
This article focuses mainly on the Netflix series 'The Get-Down' that Luhrmann created and directed. I have rejected this item due to the fact that it does not have any particularly useful information to help create my argument of defining Baz Luhrmann as an auteur through the theme of 'doomed romance'.


Tribute Movies: Baz Luhrmann - The Great Gatsby Interview
At first I was going to use this interview to explain Luhrmann's aims when filming The Great Gatsby however upon reflection I didn't think that this interview had enough relevance towards my question as Luhrmann mostly talks about the transference between the 20's and modern day rather than the narrative theme of 'doomed romance'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Jetée

Film Exam Issues and Debates: KEY SCENE REVISION